Courage and success require constant self-reinvention.


Oemeta’s path to becoming a globally recognised specialist for cooling lubricants has been shaped by drastic events: two world wars, changes in strategy and location, economic depressions and oil crises. At its core, however, Oemeta has always remained true to itself: a medium-sized, family-run company with loyal, dedicated employees who regard change as an opportunity.

Today, Oemeta is represented worldwide in the most important industrialised nations of the world with seven subsidiaries and partners. With a worldwide workforce of nearly 200 highly committed employees, it is one of the market leaders in the field of high-performance metalworking fluids. Would you like to find out where we came from and how we got to where we are today? We invite you to join us on a short journey through time as we present the history of our company.

Ready for a little journey through time?

Oldest first
Newest first
2019
Three people accept price on a stage
2019

Top 100

In the summer of 2019, Oemeta takes part in the 26th edition of the TOP 100 innovation competition and makes it among the best. Using a scientific system, TOP 100 evaluates the innovation management of medium-sized companies and the resulting innovation successes. In the independent selection process, Oemeta was particularly convincing in the "Innovative Processes and Organization" category.
2018
Two people cut the blue ribbon
2018

New production site in Salt Lake City.

In May 2018 a new production site was inaugurated in Salt Lake City/Utah. Therefore, Oemeta is better prepared to satisfy the requirements of the market. The third production site is a milestone in the history of Oemeta and another sign for the steady growth and the internationality of the company.
2018
Extension tank depots
2018

Extension of tank storages in Uetersen.

The tank storage capacities at the Oemeta headquarters and production site in Uetersen are being expanded.
2016
Thomas Vester stands in front of 100 year Oemeta jubilee sign
2016

100th anniversary.

In 1916, in the middle of the First World War, the company began producing “drilling oils” for metalworking in Berlin. In 2016, the company celebrates its 100th anniversary. On Saturday 1 July 2016, Oemeta opens its doors to customers, neighbours, Oemeta associates and their families. Around 1,500 visitors celebrate the anniversary in a relaxed atmosphere.
To the chronicle
2007
Occupational health and safety management

"Systematic security"

As the first chemical company in Schleswig-Holstein, Oemeta introduces the occupational safety management system "Safe with System" and receives an award for it.
2005
Environmental Management Certificate
2005

First certification.

Oemeta receives environmental management certification according to DIN EN ISO 14001.
Certification
2003
USA
2003

Oemeta goes to North America.

Establishment of Oemeta USA in Delaware, current headquarters Salt Lake City, Utah and establishment of Oemeta Canada in Ingersoll, Ontario.
1996
First certificate in 1996 with DIN ISO 9001
Certification

DIN ISO 9001

First certification according to DIN EN ISO 9001.
1994
Group of Asian people in a room at a table
1994

Establishment of Oemeta China, Wuhan, Hubei

1993
Brick building
1993

Establishment of Oemeta UK, Banbury, Oxfordshire.Oxfordshire.

The shares of the Winkler family are sold to the Vester family, descendants of the founding Däbritz family
1992
Regional newspaper from Uetersen
1992

Focus on cooling lubricants.

At the end of 1992, the Abrasives Division is sold to Hermes Schleifmittel GmbH & Co KG with the aim of concentrating on the Cooling Lubricants Division and internationalisation. The number of employees drops from 144 to 50. The export ratio is below 20% at this point.
1969
View of a laboratory from the 1950s
1969 - 1970

New lab.

Expansion of the business with the addition of extra laboratory capacity (extension and conversion). The first synthetic, mineral oil-free and semi-synthetic products (Frigidol, Frigilux) and products with low mineral oil content (Oemeta Universal, Frigomet) are launched on the market, offering much greater stability in application than the classic drilling oils.
1952
View of a factory site in 1952
1952

New production facilities.

Production facilities for grinding tools are built on the site in Uetersen. Some employees who are already working at the Bötzow plant move to Uetersen for a fresh start, forming the core of staff involved in the production of grinding tools. In 1953, the company headquarters are moved from Mannheim to Uetersen and the grinding tool production facility is also relocated to Uetersen.
1949
View of a factory site in 1949
1949

New registered office in Uetersen.

In search of a production site, the company finds what it is looking for in Uetersen, Schleswig-Holstein. Production of cooling lubricants starts on premises rented from the company Hermann Behrendt, Ossenpadd, Uetersen. At nearly the same time, the production of grinding tools starts at Hafenbahnstrasse 30, Mannheim.
1946
Three men at a table
1946 - 1948

New beginning.

Operations get going again in Unterschlechtbach (Waiblingen district), at temporary premises rented from Hahn & Kolb company. Expansion of the shareholder base to include the Winkler family, bringing the total number of shareholders to three. In Mannheim, permission is granted for the production of abrasives and in Hamburg for the production of cooling lubricants. Since it lacks its own machinery and equipment, Oemeta agrees with Ölwerke Julius Schindler GmbH Hamburg to have cooling lubricants produced on a contract basis. The company is now based in Mannheim.

In the picture: Shareholders (from left to right) Dr. Schmitz-Lammers, A. Däbritz, E. Winkler
1945
Buildings, trees and small pond
1945

The end of the war.

In the course of the fighting, the company’s sales and administrative offices in Berlin, Uhlandstrasse/Kurfürstendamm are completely destroyed. The Bötzow factory is requisitioned and dismantled by the occupying forces. The shareholders are expropriated without compensation and flee to West Germany.
1920
Drawing of a factory site in 1920
1920

New site in Bötzow-West.

Acquisition of the site in Bötzow-West (approx. 8 km northwest of the Berlin city border), along with the buildings of the former Berlin waste utilisation company. Change of name to OEMETA Chemische Werke GmbH.

Oemeta offered drilling oils as well as ceramic- and resin-bonded grinding tools. With this combination of products, the company was able to achieve efficient production processes in rapidly developing industrial mass production.
1916
Oil painting of two gentlemen in suits
How it all began.

Foundation of Oemeta GmbH.

Gustav Däbritz and Otto Schmitz establishes Oemeta GmbH in Berlin on 16 December 1916 with the aim of “producing and selling oils, oil substitutes and fats”.

The company name is created from the German words for “oil” and “metal”: O(el) + Meta(ll) = Oemeta.
Load more